Fall is finally here! The weather has cooled down, the holidays are almost here, and there’s a certain crispness in the air that helps us get up in the morning. Although the fall is a beautiful and happy time for many, it’s crucial to prioritize your health and make sure that you make the right choices that help your body, your life, and your family over the next few months. We’ve listed our top tips for a healthy fall season.
- Eat healthily. It’s often tempting to bake more and eat soups and other hearty dishes in autumn, but always remember to incorporate fruits, vegetables, and protein into your meals. Take a look at the fruits and veggies in season right now.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking enough water can have incredible benefits in most areas of your life; you’ll have more energy, your brain will function at a higher level, it can aid in weight loss, and prevent or help cure headaches, to name a few. Find out how much water to drink for your body type and physical activity levels here.
- Get your flu shot. Getting your flu vaccination is the best way to protect yourself, your family, and friends from contracting the virus. It’s proven that getting your flu vaccine can reduce your chances of needing medical attention by 40-60%. Don’t forget that you can get your flu shot at any First Care location.
- Wash your hands. Properly washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap and thoroughly drying your hands afterward helps prevent illnesses from spreading. You should always wash your hands before and after handling food, after using the restroom, blowing your nose, touching garbage, or caring for someone sick.
- Stay active.Take advantage of this beautiful weather and get outside! Whether you go on family walks, go for a bike ride, hike, or even throw the football around in the backyard, getting outside and active can only benefit your body. The more active you are, the better your body handles any issues or discomfort associated with aging and any illness that you come across.
- Prioritize mental health. With the COVID pandemic, shorter days, and the unprecedented times we’re still living through, prioritizing your mental health is more important than ever. A healthy mind can help your whole body and help you manage stress, anxiety, and the way you process emotions, thoughts, and feelings. Find out what works for you, whether that means seeing a therapist, talking to your family or friends, meditating, or adding daily yoga to your life. Focusing on your mental health will add tremendous benefits to every part of your life.
While enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery the fall brings, keeping these tips in mind is your recipe for a great few months. Focus on yourself, friends, and family, and always do what you can to be a light in your community. If there’s any way we can help you with any of these tips or other areas of your life, please let us know. Happy Fall!